We have been focusing on private equity and venture capital since 2005. Our dedicated team of approximately 20 lawyers is comprised of transaction specialists, experts in IP rights, technological law and related regulatory matters, and colleagues specialising in corporate law and taxes. We intensely advise investors and prospective start-ups worldwide. We understand modern trends in the world of technologies and we have detailed knowledge of the market, the investment environment and start-up business.
We know how important the business aspects of each transaction are for our clients. Together, we look for practical solutions for your business, whether you are a businessman establishing or intending to invest into a start-up.
New or developed start-up
Once, our company was also an ambitious start-up. Thanks to our own business and managerial skills, we are truly able to efficiently assist our clients and significantly support them in their growth and development in legal and tax terms.
We most often assist clients as founders of start-ups with
- Recommending the most suitable legal form of business (limited liability company, joint-stock company and other forms of legal entities) or selecting the registered office of the start-up (Czech Republic/Slovakia, elsewhere in the EU or the US)
- Suitable set-up of internal relationships with employees or other cooperating persons/self-employed persons (programmers, copywriters, developers or inventors), primarily from the perspective of copyright
- Treatment of IP rights, strategies for their registration, holding, licensing and transfers, including the protection of inventions by patents in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and worldwide
- Other issues how to make a start-up attractive for investors, e.g., in connection with the technological and legal set-up, digitisation and fulfilment of regulatory requirements for the business concerned (personal data, cyber security, sector regulation of areas such as fintech, B2B and B2C platforms, blockchain and crypto, artificial intelligence and others)
- Drafting employee virtual or equity option plans, or assisting with alternatives to a regular ESOP
- Mediation of transactional advisory, e.g., to determine the pre-money value of a start-up, or the mediation of contact information to suitable investors
- Creation and review of comprehensive investment documentation from term-sheets to shareholders agreements
- Alternative funding methods, including crowdfunding
- New stock issuance via IPO, including the Start Stock Exchange or other exit forms
VC fund or an independent investor
We have made investments into a number of venture capital funds and start-ups and we thus know how to walk a mile in investors’ shoes. We are regularly contacted for advice by investors of all categories from angel investors to renowned VC funds.
- Preparation of due diligence prior to the intended investment into a start-up, including the remedy of discovered risks for investments into the start-up (typically in the areas of intellectual property, including patents, employee relationships, regulation)
- Drafting of investment documentation, including shareholder agreements for all start-up development stages
- Protection of investors’ investments into specific start-ups
- Drafting of less formal documentation in early stages for angel investments and syndicated investments of minor investors
- Drafting of documentation for convertible or bridge debt financing
- Establishment and set-up of joint-venture cooperation
- Tax advisory and structuring
We also address all these topics as part of our active participation in the local start-up scene.